FORECAST - Followers of Rural East-Central Alabama Storm Trackers

Wednesday, September 29

Pot Roast - YUMMMM!!

Aiight, folks.  This is going to be a post that sort of breaks rules.  While I will be listing it under the Easy Recipes (since Pot Roast truly IS easy), this is one that actually could be listed under Advanced as well, due to the time involved.  Ah well, no one ever said life would always be simple...

Pot Roast is another of the ALL TIME comfort foods.  Rich broth, tender beef, potatoes, carrots (or as the roomie calls them...yummy orange slimy things)...all served over a bed of fluffy rice.  Uh oh...give me a moment to find a napkin, cause I just drooled all over myself (ROFL).  Yeah, it's THAT good!!

Now, I could get really fancy with some recipe for it, but I won't.  Why, you ask?  Honestly, it's because of one thing...some foods are best left SIMPLE!!  They don't NEED fancy to BE fancy.  No fancy spices, no fancy cuts of meat.  Just ultimate simplicity at it's finest. 

Here is my recipe for a wonderful meal:

POT ROAST

2 lb beef roast or beef tips (any cut except ground will do)
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
2 pkgs Onion Soup mix
2 c water
1 1/2 c carrots, cut in large pieces
1 1/2 c potatoes, cut in large pieces

For this recipe, we are going to use a crockpot.  Place the beef in the pot.  Turn on high.  In a medium bowl, combine the mushroom soup and onion soup together thoroughly, then add the water, and blend.  Pour over the meat, cover, flip the heat to low, and forget about it for at least 6 hours.

After 6 hours, put in your carrots.  Wait another hour, and put in your potatoes.  Wait one MORE hour, and MUNCH!!  Total time - 8 hours.  Hard work, huh?

But wait...you don't have a crockpot, you say?  Well never fear, friend, cause that's easy to handle, too!!  Here's your adjustments...

In a 6 quart dutch oven, place your meat, turn on medium heat, then all the soup mixture.  Once it's almost at a boil, turn heat down to low, cover, and let it simmer for about 3-3 1/2 hours.  Since your heat source is at the bottom, you will need to stir it once in a while (you don't with the crockpot).  After 2 hours, add your carrots, wait 45 minutes, then add your potatoes.  When the taters are tender, it's done.

Now, what to serve with it?  Well, as I mentioned above, the gravy is fabulous over old fashioned white rice.  Doesn't matter what type you use, just follow the directions for cooking that are right on the package. 

I've got a pot roast in my crockpot right now, and the entire house smells HEAVENLY!!  Yeah, even at 5:25am!!  I started it just before going to bed last night, and I think the smell is what woke me back up...it's that good!!

Aiight, time for me to go grab a cup of coffee!!  ENJOY!!!

2 comments:

Veronica said...

How appropriate! Pot Roast is my favorite meal! Great little blog. I look forward to reading more.

Leticia said...

I love pot roast!