FORECAST - Followers of Rural East-Central Alabama Storm Trackers

Saturday, September 11

Remembering 9/11...And Growing From It, Too...

Today, let's skip talking about food.

Today, we mark the 9th anniversary of the collapse of the World Trade Center twin towers.  It's a rough thing to think about, even for those who may have been too young at the time to understand what was happening.  For those of us who were capable of comprehension, the horrors of that day are indelibly etched into our minds.  Were you home...at work...on the road...at school?  Did you, like me, think you must be losing your mind; that this couldn't POSSIBLY be happening? 

I remember where I was.  Living in Atlanta at the time, I woke that morning to the phone ringing.  It was my hubby, calling from the road...almost screaming on the phone..."The twin towers have been hit, we're under attack!!" was all I could comprehend from his hollering.  I thought it must be some joke, but he was insisting I turn on the TV immediately.  Finally, I did so.

The images were absolute. Yet, they didn't want to sink in. To see those 2 towers burning...to see the people hanging out of windows (waiting for a rescue they would never get)...seeing the emergency personnel trying to handle something that their training could never have prepared them for...it was overwhelming. Mind boggling, even. The bad part? For the average person, you couldn't turn away. You almost felt compelled to watch. 

Horror, empathy, disgust, fear...what we all felt ran the entire gamut of emotions.  It was nerve-wracking and painful to experience so much emotion in so short of a time.  Most of us never had been through that kind of emotional free-for-all before.  Most of us never will again.  At least, that's what I hope.

But, as the human race moves on in the face of such tragedy, how should we act?  Certainly, we WANT to show more kindness, more compassion, MORE humanity to counteract horrors like this.   But have we?  As a species, have we shown the better side of ourselves since this happened?  Or have we reduced ourselves to a little more pettiness than is right?

Certainly, we want answers.  We want the ones responsible to pay for what they have done.  Any time a crime is committed, that's as it should be.  My question is this...have we carried it TOO FAR?  ARE we blaming the right ones, or are we acting out against those who haven't harmed us as a way to compensate for not being able to GET to the ones who were?  

I'm sure there will be those who disagree with me on this, but I think yes, we have been doing EXACTLY that.  And while I understand why people do this, it would behoove me to just stand idly by and not try to stop it...because that would make me NO BETTER than the ones performing the actions.  To allow it to spread makes me just as guilty as the ones spreading the hate and discontent.  I don't want to be guilty of that.

So now...a challenge...

The next time you feel upset or irritated by someone simply because they belong to a group that you aren't comfortable with, ask yourself one simple question...

"Is it them that truly deserve my anger, or do they just represent the ones who should?"

If the answer to the first part is yes, then fine.  BUT...if the answer to the second part of that question is yes, then I implore you...do NOT let it happen.  Don't give in to your baser needs to find someone to blame.  Put the blame where it truly lies, and allow those others to feel the compassion and love that sets us apart as humans...and as Americans. 

I'll get off my soapbox now, and I hope I haven't offended.  If I have, I'm sorry.  I'm just a little tired of watching people being blamed for something they DID NOT DO, and I refuse to be guilty of allowing it to happen.  I'm doing my part...

Are you?

1 comment:

Ruby Meads said...

Interesting blog...something to think about. :)